Basketball bragging rights
More photos on UIC News Facebook!
Fans of College of Pharmacy Dean and defending champion Jerry Bauman were out in force at the 12th annual Challenge of the Deans, a half-time shooting contest Feb. 26 at the UIC vs. Wright State game in the UIC Pavilion.
Seven colleges — Applied Health Sciences, Business Administration, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health and Urban Planning and Public Affairs — participated in the competition, which pairs a dean (or substitute administrator) and student.
This year’s winner: the College of Dentistry, with assistant dean Mark Valentino and third-year dental student Jason Harrison.
“We’ve come close so many times, so it feels good to finally bring it home — especially in our college’s 100th anniversary year, ” said Valentino, adding that Dentistry has placed second in the competition many times.
Other action at the game included UI President Bob Easter’s lighting of the torch, Sparky D. Dragon jumping out of a cake to celebrate UIC’s 30th anniversary — and a Flames win.
Other competitors were:
• Applied Health Sciences – associate dean Demetra John and student Art Slowinski
• Business Administration – dean Michael Mikhail and student Michael Perovanovic
• Nursing – dean Terri Weaver and student Mohammad Jamal Mohammad
• Pharmacy – Bauman and student Sarah Cotner
• Public Health – webmaster Jason Richards and student Renae Alvarez
• Urban Planning and Public Affairs – dean Michael Pagano and student Kelly Siegel.