Commencement at UIC
Former federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald; Children’s Defense Fund President Marian Wright Edelman; Michigan City, Ind., Area Schools Superintendent Barbara Eason-Watkins and other civic and business leaders are the featured speakers at college commencements at the University of Illinois at Chicago May 8-12.
Edelman, founder and president of the Children’s Defense Fund, will receive an honorary degree. More than 7,500 students will be honored at ceremonies for 14 colleges.
With 27,500 students, UIC is Chicago’s largest university and has the nation’s largest medical school. UIC is among the nation’s leading universities in federal research funding.
College commencements take place at the UIC Pavilion, 525 S. Racine Ave., and the UIC Forum, 725 W. Roosevelt Road. The schedule is as follows:
- Honors College: May 8, 7 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Judith Russi Kirshner, deputy director for education and woman’s board endowed chair for the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Nursing: May 9, 1 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Mi Ja Kim, professor and dean emerita.
- Applied Health Sciences: May 9, 2 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk (pre-recorded video message).
- Education: May 9, 6:30 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Barbara Eason-Watkins, superintendent of Michigan City Area Schools, Michigan City, Ind.
- Pharmacy: May 9, 7:30 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: John Plachetka, president, chairman and CEO of the pharmaceutical company POZEN.
- Jane Addams College of Social Work: May 10, 9 a.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Joel L. Rubin, executive director of the Illinois Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers.
- Urban Planning and Public Affairs: May 10, 10 a.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Patrick Fitzgerald, former federal prosecutor and current university trustee.
- Medicine: May 10, 2 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Jeremy Lazarus, president of the American Medical Association.
- Public Health: May 10, 3:30 p.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children’s Defense Fund.
- Business Administration: May 11, 9 a.m. UIC Pavilion. Speaker: John E. Adams, co-founder and CEO of Cenegenics.
- Dentistry: May 11, 10 a.m., UIC Forum. Speaker: Caswell Evans, associate dean for prevention and public health services.
- Engineering: May 11, 2 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: William Unger, independent consultant to startup technology companies.
- Architecture and Arts: May 11, 7 p.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Jon Langford, guitarist and vocalist for the punk band The Mekons.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: May 12, 10 a.m., UIC Pavilion. Speaker: Beth Richie, director of the UIC Institute for Research on Race and Public Policy.
LAS is the largest college commencement. About 2,600 graduates and guests are expected to fill the UIC Pavilion to capacity.