Fall is here!
Fall has always been my favorite season for a lot of reasons, especially the fact that my dad and I share a birthday right in the beginning of the season. In the beginning of college, I used to be disappointed that I was in the city for the season, but I quickly realized that there are fantastic things to enjoy about each season in both the city and in the suburbs. There’s no excuse to not enjoy the coming months, no matter where you are.
- Halloween! Who doesn’t love Halloween? Whether you’re dressing up or just eating candy, there’s always a way to have a good time. I love it when people decorate the hallways in the building!
- Lots of candy. Like I said — with Halloween and fall comes candy! Your candy consumption is completely justified during this time of year, so don’t bother holding back. Once Halloween passes, you may not want to look at candy anymore.
- Shorter days. Most people don’t enjoy this, but I like it when it gets dark out earlier…at least once I come to terms with it. My mind is tricked the entire season that when it’s dark, it’s super late out, so I start getting work done and getting to bed earlier. I’m able to keep this momentum and feel productive the whole time.
- Disney World. My family often takes a trip to Florida in November, so when fall rolls around, I know vacation is just around the corner. And while I enjoy all of these Chicago/Midwest things about fall (including the temperature), I am thrilled to be heading south for some sun and warmth!
- It’s finally acceptable to stay in and watch movies/lay in bed. In the warm months, I always feel like I need to be doing something outside when it’s nice out. In the fall, it’s usually too cold out at night to do anything other than have a bonfire. That means everybody is down to stay in and watch movies all night.
- Sweaters. It’s like wearing a blanket all day. Sweaters make the worst days nice. Need I say more?
- Fall decorations. They look so nice. How can you not love them?
- Boots. I may or may not have purchased two more pairs of boots this past weekend…I know I have a problem, but boots are great.
- People don’t look at you like you’re crazy when you eat soup. If I could, I would eat soup all day every day…no specific kind, just soup. But in the fall, I can eat soup every day, and for the most part, no one would think I am weird.
- Dark nail polish. Once I start, I don’t stop until February…and I started early this year. I already put the darkest color I own (besides black) on and am loving it. Love fall colors.
- Pumpkin patches. While I don’t always get to one since I live at school, pumpkin patches are still the greatest, and when I do go, I like to bring a pumpkin back to school for decoration.
- Starbucks! I know this is a basic thing to say, but Starbucks drinks for the fall and winter are far better than anything else they have…at least in my opinion.
- Scary movies. I hate/love scary movies, but now is the time to watch them. With Halloween right around the corner, it only makes sense.
- Changing leaves. It’s so pretty to watch the leaves change and eventually fall. While it can be sad because it means the end of nice weather, you just always need to remember that its all temporary and before you know it, it will be spring again. Until then, enjoy the beautiful colors.
- Hockey! Yes! For me, this means family time and having a blast.
- Scarves. Just like boots…I have entirely too many and it may be slightly unhealthy, but scarves are great…plus, who doesn’t want to keep their neck warm? I know I do.
- “Ghost Tours.” I know I pushed this last year. If you can, take the tour. It is so awesome, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I had such a fantastic time and am still scared to this day…I never look at the Hull House in the same way.
- The only time I can tolerate apples/caramel apples! I don’t actually like apples, but during fall, I eat plenty of them, especially fresh ones my mom gets from farmstands. Apples just taste better to me in the fall. And caramel apples are delicious!
- Fall scents. Apples, pumpkin, cinnamon…all types of things, often mixed together. YUM!
- Haunted houses. Much like scary movies, I am terrified and usually cry when we go, but I really love haunted houses. I have been to so many, and even some of the best like Statesville. Haunted houses are so much fun!
- An extra hour. Daylight savings time is coming, and I really enjoy “falling back” an hour!
Hope you enjoy the start to fall!
Holly Brenza is a senior majoring in English and minoring in communications and management. In her spare time, Holly enjoys playing with her puppy, Bear, watching the Blackhawks and White Sox, reading and trying out new recipes. After graduation, she hopes to work in public relations.